Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Pasta Salad with Baby Spinach

This recipe was conceived over IM. It was my night to cook dinner and I had thawed out a whole chicken and had it seasoned up and in the crockpot before I left for work. The only problem was that I was feeling very "uncreative" with a side dish or vegetable. So, I IM'd my sister and asked her what I should make with my chicken for that night. What followed was a back and forth conversation that eventually turned into this recipe.

Pasta Salad with Baby Spinach & Mixed Greens
5 oz. Baby spinach
8 oz. Whole wheat pasta (i.e. penne, bowtie, etc.)
12-15 cherry tomatoes, halved
4 tbsp. sliced black olives
2-3 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1.5 tbsp. olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp. shaved parmigiano reggiano cheese

Cook pasta in salted water, drain and rinse under cold water. In a large bowl, combine pasta, spinach, mixed greens, oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Toss well. Top with shaved parmigiano reggiano.

2 comments:

  1. Don't be modest - you developed this one! My contributions were "How about pasta salad?" and "Yeah, that sounds good!"

    This really does sound good, I will have to try it too. I assume it turned out pretty well for you since you decided to post it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, it was good. Subtle flavors, not a "strong" salad, but I love balsamic vinegar so I really enjoyed it. It's not as good as a "next day" salad though, so...

    ReplyDelete