Saturday, February 28, 2009

Taco Seasoning

I was in the mood for Taco Night this week, but as I said in my last blog, I'm trying to eat healthier, more filling options, so I wanted to take a stab at making my own taco seasoning as the pre-packaged ones usually contain a lot more sodium than is necessary. This would be an easy recipe to double/triple/etc. and have some on hand to use it as you need it. I used it on some cooked ground turkey, I added about 1/8 cup of water just to keep it all moist as I was finishing cooking and chopping everything else for the tacos and it worked out great.

Taco Seasoning

1 tablespoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon black pepper

In a small bowl, mix together chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, oregano, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper. Store in an airtight container.

Instead of the cayenne pepper you could use 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, I didn't have any at the time, so I used cayenne pepper and really liked it. As another option, you could also add in 1/2 to 1 tsp. of dried cilantro.

This could be used on ground turkey, chicken, pork or even beef, it's very versatile, just like the packets of taco seasoning you can buy in the store, but a LOT less sodium. I also noticed that it allowed the fresh flavor of the turkey to shine through as well.

1 comment: