Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Chicken Paprikash

So, I'm pretty sure this isn't a "true" chicken paprikash recipe, but it was pretty simple to do and tasted just fine. I have a co-worker who has a recipe for this dish that I'm sure is much truer to the original Hungarian version that I'd like to try one of these days, but in the mean-time, I cheated and made this version.

Chicken Paprikash


3 lb. chicken cut into 8 pieces (I used a few chicken breasts cutlets)
4 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
1 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. paprika
¾ c. water
1 c. crushed tomatoes
2 c. sliced mushrooms
1 c. sour cream
1 tbsp. flour
1 green pepper, cut into pieces


1. Heat oil in a pan (I used my new favorite cast-iron pan) over medium heat, add mushrooms and onion and cook until transparent
2. Place chicken pieces in pan, cook, turning often until lightly browned all over
3. Sprinkle salt and paprika on chicken, add ½ c. water and tomatoes and bring to a boil.
4. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes, or until chicken is tender
5. In a small bowl, combine 1 c. sour cream, flour and ¼ c. water and stir well
6. Add peppers in, pour mixture over chicken and stir, simmer uncovered for 5 minutes
7. Place chicken in a deep serving dish, pour remaining sauce over.

I boiled up some elbow pasta to pour the chicken mixture over but you could also use egg noodles, rice or spaetzle. Make sure that when you're cutting up the chicken and peppers to cut them small enough. The original recipe called for the green peppers to be cut into rings. I suggest you cut both the chicken and peppers into bite sized pieces.

1 comment: