Sunday, March 29, 2009

Slow Cooker Lentil Soup

It's Sunday morning and I'm already thinking about lunch tomorrow! I picked up a bag of dried lentils at the store yesterday. I've been wanting to try out a crock pot soup with lentils in it since I saw a recipe for one on a friends blog a month or more ago. I also know that I'm pretty much the only one in my house that will eat lentils, so I decided to throw together the soup today to have for quick lunches this week.

Slow Cooker Lentil Soup

2 carrots, peeled and chopped into lg. chunks
2 celery stalks, chopped into lg. chunks
1 medium onion, chopped into lg. chunks
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups lentils, picked over
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
2 bay leaves
8 cups chicken stock (use vegetable broth or water if making vegetarian)
4 oz. Canadian bacon, cut into small chunks(omit if making vegetarian)
1 can diced tomatoes

Place ingredients in a 4-5 quart crock pot in the following order: carrots, celery, onion, lentils, bay leaves, thyme, salt, pepper and broth. Cook on low for 6 hours. Uncover and add Canadian bacon and diced tomatoes. Continue cooking for 30 minutes. Remove bay leaves and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment