Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Enchilada Casser-Ole!

A friend of mine had a baby this last week and I wanted to make them something for dinner during the first few nights they had the baby home so they didn't have to worry about making or buying dinner while getting used to their new addition. I found an enchilada casserole recipe in a Healthy Cooking magazine so thought I'd give it a try. I have to say that it turned out really good and I will definitely be making it for myself soon!

Enchilada Casser-Ole!

1 lb. ground beef (I of course used ground turkey)
1 large onion, chopped
2 cups salsa
1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and rained
1/4 cup reduced fat Italian salad dressing
2 tbsp. reduced-sodium taco seasoning
1/4 tsp. ground cumin
6 flour tortillas (8 in) (I used whole wheat)
3/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1 cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
1 cup shredded lettuce
1 medium tomato, chopped
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro

In a large skillet, cook beef (or turkey) and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the salsa, beans, dressing, taco seasoning, and cumin. Place three tortillas in a 2-quart baking dish coated with cooking spray. Layer with half of the meat mixture, sour cream and cheese. Repeat layers.

Cover and bake at 400 for 25 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through. Let stand for 5 minutes before topping with lettuce, tomato and cilantro.

1 comment: