Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Salisbury-ish steak

So, I tried out another new recipe last night, I have a few tweaks I'd make to the recipe if I did it again, but I think it still tasted good and was very filling. I'm calling it Salisbury-ish Steak, but really since I'm not sure that I've ever eaten Salisbury Steak I'm not sure how close to the original it tastes!

Salisbury-ish Steak
1 lb. ground beef
1/2 cup Fiber One cereal (ground up) (I think I might only use 1/4 cup next time)
1/2 cup oatmeal
2 eggs (this is where I'd make a tweak...I'd use at least 3 eggs, or 4 egg whites)
2 tsp. onion powder
2 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. dried parsley
3-4 tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce (separated)
2 10-oz. cans low fat Cream of Mushroom
6-12 oz. whole wheat egg noodles

Ground up the cereal in a blender or food processor.

Prepare the noodles according to package. (I only used 6 oz. but had more patties left over than noodles so if you want left over noodles make more now, although you may want to wait and make them fresh.)

While boiling the water, combine the beef, ground cereal, quick oats, egg or egg whites, 1 ½ - 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce, onion powder, garlic powder, and dried parsley.

Form the mixture into patties, each a little more than 3 oz.

Brown the patties in a large frying pan sprayed with non-stick cooking spray over medium high heat about 3-4 minutes a side.

Whisk the soup, 1 1/2 cans of water (the soup can) and the remaining 1 ½ -2 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce. Pour soup mixture over patties. Lower the heat to simmer and cover. Cook for about 10 minutes.

Once the noodles are done, remove the patties from the skillet and set aside. Drain the noodles and add to the skillet. Stir to coat the noodles in the soup mixture.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds really good. The Fiber One in there seems like a really interesting addition.

    ReplyDelete