Friday, January 9, 2009

Vegetable Pizza Duo

I'm not a huge pizza eater in general, but every once in a while I get a craving for pizza and I usually rotate between these two pizzas. For some reason I love veggie pizza more than others and they are so easy to make. The first one is a fairly traditional Veggie Pizza, but my favorite pizza to make is my Balsamic Veggie Pizza. It of course uses Gorgonzola, although I'm sure you could substitute other cheeses like feta or blue cheese, but I love Gorgonzola and it melds very nicely with the balsamic vinegar.

Traditional Veggie Pizza
makes 8 med. slices

Pizza Dough (you can use a pre-made dough, or homemade...I prefer to let Trader Joe's make it for me!)
Pizza sauce
Mozzarella cheese
Green and/or red peppers
Sliced olives (green or black)
Zucchini
Mushrooms
Red onion
Any vegetable that you want really...

Thinly chop all veggies so that they cook quickly and uniformly. Roll out pizza dough, cover with medium/thin coat of pizza sauce, sprinkle cheese over whole pizza and then top with whatever vegetables you like. Bake at 425 until dough is golden and the cheese is melted

I love to throw in veggies you don't normally get on a pizza from a Pizza Hut/Dominoes type place...like zucchini! Experiment with this pizza...it's easy to try new veggies this way too!


Balsamic Veggie Pizza
makes 8 med. slices

Pizza Dough (I still prefer to let Trader Joe's make it for me, and I opt for the Whole Wheat kind)
Gorgonzola cheese
Balsamic Vinegar
Green and/or red peppers
Zucchini
Mushrooms
Red onion
Artichoke Hearts
Grape tomatoes, halved
Garlic (opt.)
Fresh basil (opt.)

Roughly chop all the vegetables (I like to make this one a little more rustic with the rough chop on the vegetables), roll out pizza dough and cover with your vegetables and garlic. Sprinkle chunks of the cheese over the veggies and then drizzle with vinegar. Bake on a pizza stone per pizza dough package directions ( I think at 425) until dough is golden and the cheese is melted and nice and gooey. Top with fresh basil.

2 comments:

  1. Oohh, fresh basil, that's a good idea. The balsamic vinegar sounds great, I've never tried that for homemade pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was really surprised how much I liked this pizza after I first tried it. It's a fresh way to do pizza without all of the sauce and more oily cheeses.

    ReplyDelete