Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Turkey Burger

I've pretty much replaced ground beef with ground turkey in all of my recipes. It's much leaner and I've been trying to reduce my consumption of red meat...I save it for a really good steak! So, after a rough workout tonight, I felt like eating a really good burger and I had about a pound of ground turkey left over from my Sloppy Tom's that I had made the night before. I rounded out my meal with steamed brussel sprouts and my favorite roasted potatoes.

Turkey Burger
1 - 1 1/2 lbs. ground turkey
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. Jamaican jerk seasoning
salt and pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients in a small bowl, form into patties and cook over med/low heat on the stove. I have found that turkey burgers are harder to grill as the meat is softer and doesn't hold together as well as ground beef, so I tend to cook them up in a cast iron/saute pan with a small amount of olive oil.

Spread mayonnaise mixed with sweet pickle relish on a whole wheat bun, top with a lettuce leaf and place cooked turkey patty on top.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds really good. I've tried to make turkey burgers before, but I've never used the Jamaican jerk seasoning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OHH! I will have to try if I can find Jamaican jerk seasoning, don't know if its on th island. Rachel Ray has a good one with horshradish and cheese and then you put cranberry sauce on the buns (need to use up cranberry sauce).

    ReplyDelete