Thursday, July 30, 2009

Stuffed Zucchini

When I went through my co-workers garden last week, she had a rather large zucchini that I grabbed up. I decided that the best thing to do with that much zucchini was to try out a stuffed zucchini recipe. Here's my first try at this recipe, I've decided that the only thing I might do differently next time is to add some chopped tomatoes. This turned out rather well, and in fact, my roommate said it's her second favorite meal!

Stuffed Zucchini

6-7 fresh zucchini (I used 1 really large one)
1/2 lb. Italian Sausage
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 cup mushrooms, roughly chopped
1 clove garlic
2 tbsp. olive oil
3 oz. cream cheese
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1/8 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
Parmesan cheese

Crumble Italian sausage and cook over medium heat. Remove from pan and set aside. Slice zucchini in half lengthwise. Scoop out insides leaving about 1/4-in shell. Finely chop zucchini pulp; set aside. Saute onion in oil in large heavy skillet. Add mushrooms, garlic and reserved chopped zucchini; cook over medium heat until most of moisture evaporates. Add sausage, cream cheese, egg, Parmesan, parsley, pepper, and Italian seasoning. Mix well; cook for about 5-10 minutes. Cool filling slightly and fill zucchini shells. Sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese. Place on baking sheet; bake for 30-40 minutes at 350°F until bubbly and golden brown on top. The time in the oven will depend on the size of your zucchini.

You could easily make this a vegetarian dish by omitting the Italian Sausage.

1 comment: