Friday, May 29, 2009

Italian Sausage and Pepper Pasta

Here's another one of my pasta creation dishes. I like being able to just throw things together and have them come out as a tasty meal! I had taken out some Italian Sausage to make a casserole and realized that it was more of a brunch-type casserole so I had to adjust my dinner for tonight. But, I think it turned out quite well, and everyone in the house, and my boyfriend, cleaned their bowls so I take that as a sign of a good recipe!

Italian Sausage and Pepper Pasta

1/2 lb. Italian Sausage
2 cups pepper strips (I used the frozen kind)
1/2 red onion, chopped
2 tsp. olive oil
1 1/2 tbsp. garlic, crushed
1/2 red wine
1-1 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
28 oz. diced tomatoes
1/3 cup fresh basil
8 oz. whole wheat pasta (I used the corkscrew pasta, or fuseli)

Cook Italian Sausage over medium heat, using a wooden spoon to break apart, for 3-5 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside. Heat olive oil in same pan, cook onion and pepper strips for 5 minutes, add in garlic and red wine, cooking until most of the liquid has evaporated. Add the cooked Italian Sausage, diced tomatoes and crushed red pepper. Lower heat and let simmer for 10 minutes. While the sausage sauce is simmering, cook whole wheat pasta, drain and put back into pot. Add chopped basil to sausage sauce and then pour sauce over the pasta and combine.

No comments:

Post a Comment