Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Lemon Marinated Chuck Roast, aka: The Birthday Roast

The last four or five years that I was either still living at home, or going home from college during the summer, I celebrated my birthday with my family. My mom started a tradition years earlier where you could pick out your "birthday meal" and she would make whatever you had picked. So, every year for my birthday I choose my mom's Lemon Marinated Chuck Roast. Since my birthday is coming up, I thought I'd share this recipe. This roast does takes a little bit of prep time and at least 24 hours to marinate, but trust me, do not skimp on the time, it is undeniably worth it.

Lemon Marinated Chuck Roast
4 lb. Chuck Roast, cut 1 1/2" thick
1 tsp. lemon peel, grated
4 tsp. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/3 cup oil
3-4 tbsp. Worchestshire sauce
1 tsp. prepared mustard
2 tbsp. sliced green onion

Mix together. Slash edges of roast (fat edges) and place in shallow baking dish or marinade dish with cover. Pour marinade over roast. Cover and let stand 3 hours at room temperature or overnight (I recommend overnight!) in fridge. Turn several times. Remove from marinade and grill over medium heat. 17-20 minutes on each side for rare - medium rare. Heat marinade, pour over roast to serve. Carve across the grain.

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm...this is one of my favorite summer meals.

    Glad you're posting again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, with the Australian vaca I got a little behind! Hopefully I can get back into the swing of it again!

    ReplyDelete