Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Lebanese Chicken and Pita Salad

I borrowed a couple of Weight Watchers cookbooks from a friend a few weeks ago and have tagged a bunch of the recipes to try out. This was one of those recipes, although, true to my cooking style, I made a few tweaks and additions. I brought this in to the ladies I work with for lunch and I believe they all enjoyed it and it made a nice, fresh tasting lunch!

Lebanese Chicken and Pita Salad

1 lb. thin-sliced chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
6 mini whole wheat pita breads, toasted
24 grape tomatoes, halved
1 medium cucumber, peeled, halved, seeded and chopped
2 green onions
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1/4 cup mint, chopped
3 tbsp. lemon juice
2 tsp. olive oil
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 - 8.45 oz. can garbanzo beans (my addition)

Season the chicken with 1/4 tsp. of the salt and 1/8 tsp. of the pepper. Spray a large pan with non-stick spray. Add the chicken and cook, stirring, until cooked through, about 5 minutes; transfer to a serving bowl. Set aside.

Tear the pitas into 1" pieces and add to the bowl along with the tomatoes, cucumber, green onions, mint, cilantro, lemon juice, oil, cumin, and the remaining 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/8 tsp. pepper. Toss to mix well.

Here's what I changed about the recipe: I omitted the mint (I'm just not a fan), and added some chopped parsley in its place and upped the amount of cilantro. To save time, I also used pre-cooked chicken from Trader Joe's which worked out pretty well. I had a small can of garbanzo beans in the cabinet, so I decided to add that in at the end just to bulk up the salad a little more. I also added about another 1/2 tsp. ground cumin and a splash more of lemon juice.

No comments:

Post a Comment